We often have to edit all the values in an enitre column of the spreadsheet we are working on. This can be very difficult and time consuming. Suppose you are working in OpenOffice Calc and your requirement is to convert the name of an employee in three cases.
- Convert all letters to upper-case.
- Convert all letters to lower case.
- Capitalise first character of each word.
Doing this manually will take lot of time if you are working in documents which have thousands of rows. So lets us check how to accomplish it using function. Please check the below requirement to understand it better.
Requirement: Your name is in the column A and you are converting value to column B.
- Case 1: Convert all letters to upper-case.
We can use UPPER() to accomplish this task. It will convert a text string to upper-case.
Syntax is UPPER(text)
Then in the first cell of the Column B, we can enter the function =UPPER(A1). This will convert the value. Column A1 value= Tester test, then column B1 value becomes TESTER TEST
- Case 2: Convert all letters to lower-case. We can use LOWER() to accomplish this task.
Syntax is LOWER(text)
It will convert a text string to lower-case. In the above example column B value becomes tester test if we enter the function =LOWER(A1) in column B1.
- Case 3: Convert first character of each word capitalised. We can use PROPER() to accomplish this task. It will convert first character of each word capitalised.
Syntax is PROPER(text).
Column B1 value becomes Tester Test if we enter the function =PROPER(A1) in column B1
Hope this article help you to understand all the three functions. Double click on the right end of the B1 will update the remaining values in Column B.