Agile is to project management what OOPs (Object Oriented Programming) concept is to programming languages (like PHP, Java, C). It divides the complexity of large projects into bite-sized chunks. Compared to a traditional sequential process like Waterfall, Agile promotes a disciplined project management process that encourages frequent inspection and adaptation. It encourages teamwork, self-organization and accountability.
Agile is a conceptual framework for project handling that promotes adaptive planning, evolutionary development and delivery in a time-boxed iterative approach. Agile encourages rapid, flexible response to change through interaction throughout the development process. Agile software development refers to a series of software development methods based on iterative and incremental development, where requirements and solutions are the result of collaboration between cross-functional, self-organizing teams.
Any development process that is aligned with the concepts of the Agile Manifesto can be called Agile. Some of the known methodologies under Agile development process are:
- Extreme Programming( XP)
- Feature Driven Development(FDD)
- Dynamic System Development Method(DSDM)
- Adaptive Software Development(ASD)
The objectives and policies of Agile are aimed at uncovering better ways of developing project management and helping others through it. Agile places emphasis on:
- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
- Working software over extensive documentation
- Collaboration with customers over contract negotiation
- Responding to changes over following a plan
Some of the principles behind Agile development are:
- Highest priority given to customer satisfaction through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- By accepting change requirements at a later phase in development, Agile processes harness changes for competitive advantage.
- Delivering working software with a time scale of weeks more than months.
- Business people and developers must coordinate and work together daily throughout the project.
Some of the reasons to go Agile are:
- Easier and less costly to adapt to change
- Better than Waterfall model at managing risk
- Necessitates more involvement from stakeholders
- Developers feel more ownership
- Offers better chance of building something useful
- Quality-driven focus
- Greater transparency
- Quicker feedback from end-users
Benefits of Agile Drupal Development
Though Agile cannot offer “one size fits all” solution for any and all software project management, the potential benefits of Agile Drupal development are:
- Managing tasks effectiely by getting developers, themes and UX designers work on tasks parallelely rather than having to wait, or be dependent on other tasks to be completed first.
- The potential availability of contributed Drupal modules that suit new requirements, gives project the flexibility to respond to future goals and objectives.
- Using Drupal platform expedites prototype development
- Consistent interaction with the Product owner and Stakeholders, allows for efficient usage of resources and time.
- For Agile Drupal development, one of the best Drupal practices is using the Features module. It allows developers to create, manage and export modules more efficiently, enabling better response to changing requirements.
Zyxware Technologies has been successfully partnering with businesses around the globe to provide innovative, efficient and cost-effective Drupal development services. We empower our partners through the Agile development process, to respond rapidly to changing market environment by ensuring great customer interaction and thus high product satisfaction. To know more about our Drupal development services, please get in touch with us.