Strategic Communication and Social Media
Brands use digital for their Social Media presence. Here are the various Codes of Social Media:
- Relevant/Pop Culture—Popular culture is a set of practices, beliefs, and objects dominant or prevalent in a community at a point in time.
- Informal—You can’t always be serious on social media.
- Dialogue—Conversations amongst themselves. The brand has to speak to each customer as they are at par.
- Accessible—True nature of social media is that it is accessible to all.
- Pull Strategy—On Digital, you cannot have a push strategy. Have a Pull Strategy. People want some information, so we are happy when we give that exact info to them.
Social media offers an exciting way for business communication to align itself with a cutting-edge business trend. Social media platforms provide a means of relationship building through communication. With so many businesses currently trying to understand how to best leverage social media platforms, business communication scholars have the opportunity to contribute to social media research, training, and pedagogy.
Businesses use social media and related digital technologies for various corporate communication functions. These include marketing, media relations, internal communications, investor relations, corporate social responsibility, public affairs, and crisis communication. These functions, broadly classified as ‘Business Communication,’ can offer a unique perspective on social media.
We must be mindful of developing impact through our social media. Besides continuing to share our successes, we also must establish traditional research projects relating to cutting-edge business trends (e.g., social media). We must collaborate across disciplines on research and develop powerful streams of inquiry that include following up with our competitor’s studies and calls for additional investigation. We should also do more case studies on relevant business trends that speak to our target audiences: business communication colleagues, researchers from other fields, practitioners, and students. Social media offers us high-impact potential.