Moodle is a Free and Open-Source Software(FOSS) learning management system written in PHP. We can install Moodle on a standalone platform. Here I would like to explain how to install Moodle in an Ubuntu Server.
Steps to install Moodle in Ubuntu Server:
- Install PHP 5.4 and MySQL in our server.
- Then install following libraries,
sudo apt-get install aspell graphviz php5-pspell php5-curl php5-gd php5-intl php5-mysql php5-xmlrpc php5-ldap
- Download latest version of the Moodle from and extract it to the website root folder (if necessary you can create a subdomain).
sudo wget https://download.moodle.org/stable29/moodle-latest-29.tgz sudo tar -xpvzf moodle-latest-29.tgz moodle/
- Create a directory named 'moodledata' outside the root directory.
sudo mkdir /home/health_live/moodledata sudo chmod 0777 /path/to/moodledata
- Create a database for Moodle.
- Install Moodle by browsing the folder,
- Follow the instructions to configure Moodle that is, provide the database details, database name, user, password and last but not least create a site administrator account which will have all administration privileges.
Now the installation is complete and you can start using Moodle.