Donate Blood - Celebrate this Independence Day by Saving Lives
We are organizing a company wide blood donation drive at Zyxware to celebrate India's 68th Independence day. We will be going to Sree Chithira Thirunal hospital (SCTIMST) at around 11AM on 16th Aug, 2014. We invite people who are interested in donating blood to come and join us. We can meet in front of SCTIMST and then go to the blood bank from there. SCTIMST is a Government of India institute and is a prestigious educational institution. (Google Maps)
Blood cannot be manufactured and there is a constant requirement for hospitals to source blood to take care of patients. Blood is typically required by people who meet with accidents, who have to undergo surgeries or who have specific medical conditions requiring transfusions. Donating blood is a very easy way to help save lives.
Here are some facts about donating blood.
* Each time you donate blood you will be able to donate around 300 - 450 ml (1 unit) of blood which is less than 1/10th of the total volume of blood in your body.
* You can help up to 3 different people with the 1 unit of blood that you donate
* The process of blood donation is a painless process (well almost but for the needle prick)
* The process of blood donation is a very safe procedure and uses sterilized equipment
* Body will recover the lost fluid in a few hours
* Body will recover Red Blood Cells (RBC) in around 60 days
* You will not feel weak / tired after blood donation. All you have to do is to drink enough water to recover the lost fluid.
* A healthy person can donate blood safely once every 3 months
* Even if you do not donate blood your RBC has a lifetime of only around 100 - 120 days and is being continuously replenished by the body.
* You get a free medical checkout and blood test with your donation.
* You can donate blood and get out in approximately an hour.
* Once you donate blood and you or your close ones need blood later for any situation you will be given priority allocation of blood from the blood bank. You will be given a certificate for this.
You can read more about blood donation here.
The staff at SCTIMST blood bank are very friendly and they would be happy to share more information about blood donation and they will also be able to answer any questions you may have around blood donation. Even if you are not sure whether you would want to donate blood we would invite you to visit the blood bank with us and get to know more about blood donation and perhaps donate once your questions / concerns are addressed.
Remember - Donating blood saves lives