The devices which make use of wireless technology is now becoming a part of our life due to higher customer satisfaction. Wireless technology is nothing but the transfer of information between two or more points which are not in physical contact with each other. Since there are no wires running out from the devices , the mobility and installation of these devices are much easy. Mobile phones, desktops, monitors, keyboards, routers, remote controls etc are some of the devices we often use. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are wireless technologies which are widely using now a days.
Bluetooth : It is a technology used for exchanging data between devices over short distances. Bluetooth is managed by Bluetooth Special Interest Group. Master Bluetooth can at a time connects a maximum of seven devices.
Wi-Fi : It is a technology that provides high speed internet and network connections wirelessly. Wi- Fi, owned by the organization Wi-Fi alliance, works by using Radio frequency technology.
Even though the wireless devices have got many advantages, the security and ethical issues are much higher. These devices are vulnerable to many threats. Therefore the testing of these devices are of higher priority. The types of testing performed are:
- Unit testing : This type of testing is done by the developer during the development of application. Since this type of testing is time consuming and costly, it is minimal for wireless devices.
- Functional testing : It is mainly done to ensure whether the components are correctly assembled and to check the operations of the device.
- Performance testing : Performance of the application is an important parameter since the number of users accessing the devices are very high. In this type of testing, the performance is tested by using virtual users. Here number of parallel connections for different users are tested to determine the performance of the application. This is otherwise termed as load testing.
- Wireless penetration testing : This type of testing involves information gathering, traffic sniffing, authentication bypassing. The main aim of this testing is to prevent hackers to penetrate internal network.
- Security testing : Wireless devices are vulnerable to security issues. Intruders are likely to attack the data , steal identity and violate the privacy of the users. Therefore important information should be saved by using proper encryption. Various authentication protocols are used for ensuring the security of the data transactions via wireless devices.
- Compatibility testing : This type of testing is done to check the applications compatibility with the different devices. This testing is done to check whether the devices are working properly and to make sure that the device functions in concert with the application.
- Installation testing : In some cases user need to install certain applications within the device. Testing whether the installation goes smoothly is the main aim of installation testing. The user should be able to install, update and uninstall applications within the device.
- Usability testing : The wireless devices should be customer friendly. The parameters checked are efficiency, accuracy and emotional response. The ease of use of the application is checked in this testing.
Due to increasing bandwidth, the wireless devices and technologies are rapidly growing. The vendors of this device should ensure that their product is efficient and secure. The parameters such as authentication, confidentiality etc must be tested to deliver a secure product. Thus early and efficient testing can grab customer satisfaction and thereby preventing possible ethical issues.
Our experts will help you to make a smarter site, get in touch with us.