Selenium IDE stands for Selenium Integrated Development Environment. It is a Firefox plugin which helps testers to recorded their actions and then export them as a reusable script in one of many programming languages. Selenium IDE has a recording feature, that provides an easy-to-use interface for developing automated tests.
Selenium IDE was developed by Shinya Kasatani. Selenium IDE became a part of Selenium Package in the year 2006. Then tool becomes a great value and potential to the community.
Selenium IDE is the most simplest and easiest of all the tools within the Selenium Package. The record and playback feature makes it exceptionally easy to learn with minimal knowledge of any programming language. The disadvantages of IDE are in reality not disadvantages, but just limitations to what the IDE could achieve. These limitations can be overcome by using Selenium RC or WebDriver.
- Selenium IDE is very easy to use.
- It has the capability to convert the test to different programming languages such as html, java etc
- Programming language experience is not required for Selenium IDE
- Selenium IDE provides Logging capabilities using file login plug-in.
- In Selenium IDE, user can debug and set breakpoints
- Selenium IDE is flexible for the users.
- Selenium IDE is Firefox plugin, thus its support is limited to Firefox only
- It will not support iteration and conditional statement
- Selenium IDE doesn't support error handling
- Doesn't support test script grouping
- Selenium IDE do not support Database testing
Hope this article helps you to understand advantages and disadvantages of selenium IDE!!