A new computer could cost anywhere from Rs. 13500/- where as you could get a reasonably good used computer in the range of Rs. 4000 to Rs. 7000 depending on the age and the configuration of the system. The obvious attractiveness in the option of buying a used computer is the price. Buying a certified used system is an excellent way to familiarize you and your family to the exciting world of computers and internet at perhaps 1/3 the cost of a new system.
If you are buying a computer solely for gaming purposes you should perhaps stop reading any further and go for a brand new computer. Most the new games in the market require not just the latest technologies but also the higher end versions of the same. If however you are looking to buy a computer for introducing you or your kids to programming, or to explore the internet or simply to watch movies, a used computer could meet your needs.
There are however several aspects the customer needs to verify before buying a used computer.
- A full scandisk has to be run on all the drives to ensure that there are not too many bad sectors. A few bad sectors shouldn't be a big worry.
- Try a CDROM and/or DVDROM in the drive to check that the drives are functioning properly.
- Run a memory test using the Ubuntu memory test feature. Boot using the Ubuntu CD and select the memory test option.
- Make sure that the connectivity devices are working correctly - network card and/or modem. Try connecting to the net and verify.
- Verify that all the addon cards are working fine - check sound and video.
- Ensure that the monitor does not display unusual symptoms after keeping on for a couple of hours.
- Ensure that the internals - processor, motherboard, smps - does not create any problems after being kept on for a few hours.
The prices of the used computers vary based on the Processor, Motherboard, Hard Disk, RAM, other components and accessories. If you would like to buy a used computer visit our store at 3/118 Kesavadasapuram, Pattom P. O., Trivandrum, Phone - 0471-4063818 and we will be able to sell you used computers that have gone through the 7 point checklist mentioned above. If you have a used computer you wish to sell bring it over, we will inspect it and give you a fair price.