7 Frequently Asked Questions About Drupal 10
1. Why is Drupal 10 releasing so soon?
Symfony 4 will reach its End-of-Life (EoL) in November 2023. Post that date, security bugs in Symfony 4 will not get fixed. Drupal 9 heavily depends on Symfony 4, which puts it at an increased security risk. There arise the need for Drupal to adopt Symfony 5 (or later) at the earliest. Drupal 10 will be using Symfony 6.2.
2. Why is there a delay in the release of Drupal 10 from the planned release date?
The release of Drupal 10, which was originally scheduled to release in June this year, was further pushed back to December, and Dries announced the decision in DrupalCon Portland 2022.1 One of the biggest news about the Drupal 10 is that it will have the upcoming CKEditor 5, with its vastly improved authoring experience and an array of plug-ins. There is more work to be done on integrating it with the Drupal 10, which has caused the delay from the planned release date.
3. When is the new target release date of Drupal?
The finalized release date for Drupal 10.0.0 is December 14, 2022, which gives site owners 11 months to update from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10.2 It will be the easiest upgrade in Drupal’s history.
4. What is included in Drupal 10?
- Drupal’s new frontend theme (replacing Bartik) - Olivero
- Drupal’s new backend theme (replacing Seven) - Claro
- Further improved Media functionality and Layout Builder.
- Better decoupled developer and site builder experiences, particularly for menu and URL handling.
- The new custom theme creation process using the Starterkit tools
- Symfony 6.2 (replacing Symfony 4) and PHP 8.1.
- CKEditor 5 with a vastly improved authoring experience (replacing CKEditor 4).4
5. How do I prepare for Drupal 10?
For Drupal 9 users:
The best right now is to help automate the process towards Drupal 10 if you are on Drupal 9. Keep a watch on functionalities that will be deprecated on Drupal 10 and ensure that you follow the best practices in maintaining your Drupal 9 website so that the Drupal 10 migration will be as smooth as possible.
For Drupal 8 users:
One must update to Drupal 9 immediately, as Drupal 8 already reached its end of life in November 2021. If you are looking for support to migrate from Drupal 8 to Drupal 9, we are happy to help.
For Drupal 7 users:
Drupal 7 has an end-of-life date in November 2023, nearly a year since the release of Drupal 10. Though Drupal 10 will include migration tools from Drupal 7, the contributed projects one uses that are likely available for Drupal 9 may not be ready shortly after the Drupal 10 release. So, one shouldn’t wait to migrate to Drupal 10 directly but start updating to Drupal 9 soon.5 Updating Drupal 10 from Drupal 9 will be easier than from Drupal 7.
6. How long will Drupal 9 be supported?
The end-of-life date for Drupal 9 is when Symfony 4 reaches its end of life in November 2023, as Drupal uses a lot of Symfony code.6
7. Will the upgrade to Drupal 10 be easy?
The module developers can start adopting any new APIs immediately as new functionality for Drupal 10 is added to Drupal 9 releases. 7 The upgrade to Drupal 10 should be easy though removing deprecated code breaks backward compatibility.
If you are maintaining a Drupal 6 or Drupal 8 website, we recommend an immediate migration to Drupal 9 as both these versions have already reached the end of life. Although Drupal 7 users will get time till November 2023, it is advisable to plan your migration right now.8